The BMCC #FuturePanther Blog

How BMCC Prepared Me to Take On Baruch

Female standing in front of Baruch college

Meet Aliza, a Human Resources Management major at Baruch College. Before becoming a Bearcat, she studied business as a BMCC Panther. 

“I definitely experienced the ‘transfer shock’ of getting used to Baruch College,” she said.

“At BMCC, my professors and advisers were very welcoming and helpful and wanted me to succeed. When you transfer to a senior school you have to be ready to take charge and figure things out for yourself.

“Starting at BMCC taught me some of those skills. I had a lot of very supportive people behind me to coach me through the steps I needed to take. I read the BMCC website a lot to find out who I needed to go talk to instead of wandering between offices. That strategy saved me a lot of time when I started at Baruch.”

“I didn’t notice it at the time, but my BMCC business classes were really robust. My Baruch professors use a lot of advanced vocabulary in their classes, and I’d be really lost if it weren’t for the community college professors who spent time making sure we understood the jargon.

“Also, I have to thank the people at the Tutoring and Writing Centers. I still use the tips and tricks they taught me whenever I have to write a paper.”

I’d be really lost if it weren’t for the community college professors who spent time making sure we understood the jargon.

“Based on my experience, I would tell students starting out to read everything. There is so much information out there, but you do have to go looking for it sometimes.

“Also, make friends with your professors and advisors. They can introduce you to resources and opportunities you might not find on your own.”

Female selfie

After finishing her Bachelors in Human Resources Management, Aliza plans to complete a Master’s degree program at Baruch — subject TBD!

Later, she wants to work for the City University of New York because she loved her time in its schools so much.

More Like This